Glen,
> ...you can have your class in the app folder
> called SystemCore.as this looks like it extends a display object

Not exactly :-)
If It extends Sprite, the result is "grey-gradient" standard flex bg,
w/o any traces of my objects. Trace commands are executed nice,
however.
If I make the main class extending mx.core.Application then, in
addition to tracing messages,  I can see my (white) background and
"initializing" progress bar.
But:
===
[Fault] exception, information=TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion
failed: cannot convert mx.core::[EMAIL PROTECTED] to
mx.core.IUIComponent.
Fault, addingChild() at Container.as:3301
===
where FlexSprite is used in code:

var triangle:FlexSprite = new FlexSprite( );
// drawing a triangle...
addChild(triangle);

And it's addChild() that causes the error (no error with addChild() commented).

So far, it looks strange for me, as the argument's type of
mx.core.Application.addChild() is DisplayObject.

Thoughts?

--
Best regards,
GregoryN