So will the file be 500k and not more or do you mean it could grow to
6mb or 60 mb?  If so, you definitely don't want to have all of this in
one file, perhaps even with 500k.  I had troubles in AS2/FP8 parsing
250k files occassionally, but FP9 may be better at handling larger XML
files and parsing them.  It would be really really easy to test even
before they give you the actual file, just create dummy XML file and try
to load it in a read data from it.

With that much data though, you may want to try and split it up into
separate XML files and load them either as needed, or preload them one
at a time before doing a search.  You could categorize by year, or
alphabetical, or whatever makes sense based on the data they give you.
And if you can easily clean the files to strip out uneeded data, even
better. If you can get them to produce an even cleaner file for you,
even better than that obviously.

Lucky for you, since you said you can use AS3, searching using E4X
syntax is going to be a whole lot easier and likely faster.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
GT&O L&LD Solutions Design & Development
eTools & Multimedia

Bank of America Flash Platform Developer Community

Are you a Bank of America associate interested in innovative learning
ideas and technologies?
Check out our internal  GT&O Innovative Learning Blog and & subscribe.