Since it's a CD-ROM, you can get away with a lot of preprocessing on
the data. Do all the really heavy lifting before you deliver the
project, so that the "live" Flash app doesn't have to.

One straightforward thing you can do is parse the entire collection
XML, keeping every article every word appears in, and dumping this
list  (sorted) as a plaintext file. Something like:

aardvark: i302a27, i322a41, i412a2
anchovy: i210a9, i289a31
bezier: i123a4

Where the list format is i<issueNum>a<articleNum>. Then, at run time,
your Flash app can (relatively) quickly load your index file into a
huge sorted list. Finally, when a search term is entered, you can do a
quick binary search on the search term and find all relevant articles.

You'll probably need to write your preprocessor in another language,
since Flash can't write to local files. You could conceivably write
your preprocessor using AIR and Actionscript.

Also note that I'm not guaranteeing that a simple list index is best
-- I'm just providing one implementation idea off the top of my head
that demonstrates the use of preprocessing the data, which I think you
must do regardless of your final indexing strategy.

Cory Petosky : Lead Developer : PUNY
1618 Central Ave NE Suite 130
Minneapolis, MN 55413
Office: 612.216.3924