Extending DisplayObject to access some of its native functionality (e.g. event bubbling) seems fine to me, especially if you look at it from the perspective of EventDispatcher has events and DisplayObject extends EventDispatcher and adds bubbling functionality. If you need bubbling, extend the class that provides that.

The whole non-visual argument is a bit of a red herring considering we're using Flash and, until recently, all Actionscript was inside of or attached to a display object (MovieClip). Technically, it still is. ;)

Flash is a visual tool, and I maximize my productivity by leveraging it fully. Flash has all kinds of great Flash-centric features and you can definitely use them to your advantage. It's not "hacking" to use the API given to you. :)