Hi,

I have just built a text searching class that loads in external files and looks for search terms - this uses URLLoader to load a text file. URLLoader can do binary format too, so I guess you could load in your binary and compare byte for byte with your known "good" file...

You may have to break up your comparison into chunks somehow so you don't hog player time too much, but that's a suggestion anyway.

   My text search is for a CDROM based application.

   Testing on the desktop - here are some results for my text searching:

Searches text 12 files containing text about cars, files avg 350kb each 4.28MB.

   Using regexp to search for phrases and single words:

   Phrase 1 - "Austin Seven" = 298 hits, 5672ms
   Phrase 2 - "Dunlop" = 86 hits 3203ms
   Phrase 3 - "B.M.W." = 13 hits 2156ms
   Phrase 4 - "100 m.p.h." = 0 hits 454ms - could be a bug in my code.
   Phrase 5 - "hill-climbs" = 22 results 3761ms

   Done in bulk took 15.8 seconds
HTH

   Glen

Rich Shupe wrote:
Daniel,

I don't know whether it will be desktop or web-based yet. I imagine that if
I can make one work but not the other, I could go with the one that works.

I'd be curious to know if this makes a difference. I'm okay with using
something like FileReference to get the files to the server for web-based
comparison, etc., if that comes up.

I basically need to find errors in a file by comparing it against a correct
file. Batch processing, which I could build in, would make my day, too.

Rich
http://www.LearningActionScript3.com