If you are only READING files, you have a bit more options. If you are
writing files, or dealing with the OS extensively in traditional application
ways, you pretty much have to go with a projector enhancer. You can't really
use the browser, and you can't use AIR.

Some may say that their are other options by extending those environments
(server-based saving--to server or locally, Java applets that add
functionality to the browser, etc., but I don't consider them realities for
the average user.

mProjector is AS3-stable on the Mac, but not yet released on Windows, so
that probably isn't a reality for an AS3 project. I've heard good and
terrible things about Zinc, so I can't offer any opinions there. I'm sure
others have used it and may be able to help. Finally, I've never had the
slightest interest in any product that isn't cross-platform, so I can't
speak to any of the Windows-only, or Mac-only (if there are any) options.

Anyone else have any opinions on proj-enhancers?

On 4/29/08 2:31 PM, "Bart Goormans" wrote:

> Our app will be a sort of backoffice in which we will be dealing with
> the filesystem extensively. It will be managing mediafiles and dig into
> its xml metatags. From the start on, this project is completely AS3
> based. So I 'd better test the mProjector thoroughly beeing in beta for AS3.
>
> I haven't had too much experience on building full scale apps in flash
> but this will be an adventurous challenge. Hope to get the squares out
> of the wheels soon and start rollin'  ;-)) Thx!

Rich
http://www.LearningActionScript3.com