I've been developing a video player for a client. It looks as though the client may switch to using a streaming server. The video content is over an hour long, so I wonder if there is an optimal size/length we should be looking at for the video files. Previously, the video was split into a lot of small video files with the player loading them as required - much more convenient to allow the user to move between sections. I'm wondering what the optimal "finger in the air" size is going to be for use with a video stream.

At this stage I have no idea what the client  infrastructure will be.

Paul