Elia Morling wrote:

> Okay thanks... I guess it's not possible then. :(

Maybe it is possible--not easy, but possible.

You can get close enough for cartoons by simple volumetric analysis. IOW,
check the volume and base the mouth positions on that. We had a routine,
written in C++, that did just that, and it was good enough for our Disney
program.

You only really need about 5 or 6 mouth positions for most cartoon
animation. Generally, a long "a" is louder than a "b". It won't be exact,
but it will probably get you close enough.

I don't know if AS3 is going to be fast enough for real-time analysis. You
might need to write an ActiveX in C++ (if you're targeting IE on Windows),
or a Firefox plugin. It can be done--it's not easy, and you might run into
problems with customer acceptance of an ActiveX control, but it's still an
option.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson