Also hard to find can be internal compiler errors.

Last week a few hours before the deadline, both FlexBuilder
and FlashDevelop where spitting internal / java errors.
No idea where to look at. No file / line numbers. You start
wondering... is it the operating system? a virus? The compiler
was damaged? What did I do wrong?
If it wasn't for SVN, finding this:
switch(someValidVar) {
}

(without "case:") in a 50000 line program could have taken a long time.

Don't do it :)

Kerry Thompson wrote:
I finally tracked it down to an unlikely source--the programmer who worked
on the project before me was doing a Boolean comparison on a value that
could sometimes be void. Void is neither true nor false, so it was setting
off a chain reaction, culminating in a crash somewhere down the line.