There's a company here in LA that gives you a choice of tests and you can take them home and work on them. I heard what one of the tests was at 1:00am late one night and I was so psyched about it that I ended up staying up til 5:30am doing it. I wasn't happy with my first solution, which worked but wasn't as elegant as I liked, so I refactored it until I was satisfied.

The particular test I took I thought was a fantastic way to figure out somebody's problem solving skills. I heard the next day that most applicants failed that particular test, including the guy who told me about it! (I can imagine it causing the Flash player to have script timeout errors).

I mean, you have to come up with a good challenge worth doing. You'll also get an idea of how passionate people are about coding by giving them a challenge. I want to interview at that company just so I can find out what their other tests are and take em, ha!

Here's what you have to decide. What are you trying to determine about somebody's skillset? Do you do a lot of collision detection stuff? Are you more interested in design pattern knowledge? Once you know what the goal is, you can come up with a test that will demonstrate their skills in that area.

No, I'm not going to tell you what the test is.  :)