Ok, I think I've found the answer in the javascript... if you're using the
readable version of SWFAddress 2.1  In...

      this.setValue = function(value) {

the line

      if (value == '/') value = '';

changes the slash to an empty string. I presume what's happening is the
value gets changed on the flash side to "/", then it calls the js to change
the value in the browser. Then the javascript tries to update the flash,
but now the values don't match, as flash is set to "/" and the js is set to
"". I don't seem to have any problems simply commenting out that line in
the javascript. I'll send an update if it turns out I'm wrong.

JASON VAN PELT  •  SENIOR INTERACTIVE DEVELOPER
PETER A MAYER ADVERTISING
324 CAMP ST  •  NEW ORLEANS, LA 70130
TEL 504-210-1232  •  FAX 504-529-4431
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  •  WWW.PETERAMAYER.COM

Sorry it's been a while since I messed with it. If I remember correctly,
the
javascript tries to start things off when flash should be the only one
initializing anything. I rigged swfaddress into a PureMVC page a while back
and it took some serious hacking to get it to leave the home page alone. I
wish I had time to dig through and figure out what I did but it was a
matter
of having flash ignore the javascript inits completely and not broadcasting
anything in a dead start condition (I think the value is "home" vs.
"/home"), then having flash make the decision based on the current hash.
Good luck and hopefully soon I'll be able to write up a good blog tutorial.

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Jason Van Pelt
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> [...]
> twice.
>

> JASON VAN PELT  •  SENIOR INTERACTIVE DEVELOPER
>
> PETER A MAYER ADVERTISING
> 324 CAMP ST  •  NEW ORLEANS, LA 70130
> TEL 504-210-1232  •  FAX 504-529-4431
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  •  WWW.PETERAMAYER.COM
>

> There are 5 conditions in dealing with deep links and swfaddress seems to
> only have focused on one. Internally you need to evaluate your condition
> (previous location vs. new location) and communicate (or not at all) with
> swfaddress accordingly. One of those conditions is starting at home,
> another
> is returning to home.
>
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 9:40 PM, sebastian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi I had this issue a couple of years ago too. It's hard for me to
> remember
> > exactly, but I believe that I changed the onChange function to simply
set
> > variable with the page name, instead of calling the page event
> immediately
> > -- and then used a different event to read the set variable when it was
> time
> > to load the first page; which made the two differentiated and thus no
> longer
> > co-dependent and eliminated the double loading... hope you could follow
> > that!
> > :P
> >
> > S.
> >
> > Jason Van Pelt wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I'm using swfaddress and puremvc on a site that is about 90% done.
> >> Everything works well in the Flash IDE and in the browser with one
> >> exception -- I have a home button that navigates to "/" using
> swfaddress.
> >> However, ONLY in the browser the SWFAddressEvent is fired twice. If I
> >> replace "/" with "/home", this works fine.
> >>
> >> In the SWFAddressProxy class:
> >>
> >>            public function requestURI(uri:String):void{
> >>                  if (ExternalInterface.available) {
> >>                        SWFAddress.setValue(uri);
> >>                  } else {
> >>                        setTargetURI(uri);
> >>                  }
> >>            }
> >>
> >>            private function onAddressChange(e:SWFAddressEvent):void{
> >>                  setTargetURI(e.value);
> >>            }
> >>
> >>            private function setTargetURI(uri:String):void{
> >>                  var addressObj:Object =
> >> {viewComponent:this.viewComponent, pageName:uri};
> >>                  sendNotification(ApplicationFacade.DISPLAY_VIEW,
> >> addressObj);
> >>            }
> >>

> >> In the NavManager class:
> >>
> >>            switch (url){
> >>                  case "/":   // gets called twice??
> >>                  case "/home":     // works fine
> >>                  case "/home/":    // works fine
> >>                        mediatorName = HomeMediator.NAME;
> >>                  break;
> >>            }
> >>

> >> Using "/home" isn't a totally  unacceptable solution, but it makes a
> >> difference in how the url displays in the browser's address bar...
which
> >> is
> >> the whole point.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else noticed any issues with using "/" with swfaddress?
> >>

> >> JASON VAN PELT  •  SENIOR INTERACTIVE DEVELOPER
> >>
> >> PETER A MAYER ADVERTISING
> >> 324 CAMP ST  •  NEW ORLEANS, LA 70130
> >> TEL 504-210-1232  •  FAX 504-529-4431
> >>
> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  •  WWW.PETERAMAYER.COM

> >>  PETER MAYER ADVERTISING CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Confidentially, we
> loathe
> >> confidentiality notices. Still, our lawyers tell us they are essential
> in
> >> today's world. That said, please consider yourself confidentially
> notified
> >> that this email and any attachments may contain confidential and
> privileged
> >> information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
> sender
> >> with a reply email-confidentially, of course-and destroy all copies.
> And,
> >> just between you and us, any dissemination by a person other than the
> >> intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.

> --
> --Joel

> PETER MAYER ADVERTISING CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
> Confidentially, we loathe confidentiality notices. Still, our lawyers
tell
> us they are essential in today's world. That said, please consider
yourself
> confidentially notified that this email and any attachments may contain
> confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please notify the sender with a reply email-confidentially, of
> course-and destroy all copies. And, just between you and us, any
> dissemination by a person other than the intended recipient is
unauthorized
> and may be illegal.

--Joel