Kelly,

As far as I know Flash can't receive data by any other means than TCP. So
your best route would probably be using socket connections.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00000318.html

Using a socket connection you can transmit real-time binary data back and
forth between Flash and your server. Of course, you'll have to get a server
set up, which depending on what you need, shouldn't be too hard.

Once you get the hang of them, socket connections are fairly straight
forward and simple to use.

If you're deploying this as an AIR app, you might have some more options, I
haven't worked with AIR much so I'm not sure if there is another method you
can use.

Hope this helped.

Taka