And, I've also discovered that Flex is more forgiving. I can pull in content from another domain without said crossdomain.xml by using a HTTPService component.

That's not correct.
Doesn't matter if it's Flex or Flash. It's the Flash Player that enforces
security, not the tool that created the swf.
Different rules apply to different swf versions, so if Flex compiles to fp9 and Flash CS4 compiles to fp10, you may see different results.
Even minor revisions may show different results (e.g. 9.0.45 vs 9.0.124).

But why on earth is that so? I mean, the same file can easily be read by an ordinary browser!? What on earth could i concoct with my devious, malignant Flash application with the same file?

Well, it's not about what your intensions are, they may be all good,
but not everyone has those same good intensions :)

Think about banner ads that are displayed *wherever*.
Do you really want those to be able to read/load/execute anything they feel
like from your site/server?

There's quite alot of info on the Adobe site regarding security:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/security.html
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/security/
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/security/

regards,