If everybody and everything can
read an XML on a random server, why can't Flash, it doesn't make any sense.

Because the Flash Player can't determine if you're *allowed* to read that particular xml file or not, nor does it know your intensions. So rather than allowing it and hoping for the best, it shuts the door for everyone and provides a means to open a backdoor (if you like) through the use of policy files.

When this was first implemented (Flash 6) this was highly annoying since noone
out there had policy files in place.
Nowadays service providers (Xmethods/Yahoo/Amazon/etc..) have those in place
and their public services can be used with Flash.

If there's a public service you'd like to use and they don't have a policy file in place, contact them, explain them what you want and why and point them to the appropriate pages on the Adobe site.
I've done so in the past and up to now I never had a "no go".

http://www.xmethods.net/crossdomain.xml
http://www.yahoo.com/crossdomain.xml
http://search.yahooapis.com/crossdomain.xml

http://developer.yahoo.com/faq/#flash

The way I see it, crossdomain policy files are here to stay, so might as well
deal with it :)

regards,
Muzak

----- Original Message ----- From: "Meinte van't Kruis" <mei...@gmail.com>
Still, I agree with John, on the XML part. If everybody and everything can
read an XML on a random server, why can't Flash, it doesn't make any sense.