Hey T,
If you want to send me your code offline or here, I am on a MAC and work primarily in AS2 and can test for you.
Which uploader are you using?

I have this error check listener in mine and it works fine. "imagePane" is a component in my file that displays the uploaded file once complete.

listener.onHTTPError = function(file:FileReference, httpError:Number):Void {
        imagePane.contentPath = "error";
imagePane.content.errorMSG.text = "HTTPError number: "+httpError +"\nFile: "+ file.name;
}

listener.onIOError = function(file:FileReference):Void {
        imagePane.contentPath = "error";
        imagePane.content.errorMSG.text = "IOError: "+ file.name;
}

listener.onSecurityError = function(file:FileReference, errorString:String):Void {
        imagePane.contentPath = "error";
imagePane.content.errorMSG.text = "SecurityError: "+SecurityError +"\nFile: "+ file.name;
}

HTH,

Karl