Thanks for the help so far. The asfunction code does indeed enable the
video player to go to a cue point. Thus

function clickMe(){
caption_flvp.seekToNavCuePoint(navpoint);
}

and

mainText.htmlText += "<a href=\"asfunction:clickMe, navpoint\">navpoint</a>";

produces linktext navpoint which when clicked takes the video player
back to cuepoint navpoint. Hurrah! So, I guess the tricky bit is done,
but....

I need to be able to pass variables through this code and that's where
I hit a problem.  The way I have the player rigged up is that as cue
points come along they're added to an array, the last which is output
to the list provided it's not already present (this so that re-viewing
the video doesn't produce a whole lot of duplicate list items).

So, in the original code I have:
mainText.htmlText = "";
for (var i = 0; i<len2; i++) {
mainText.htmlText += cueArray[i];}

My problem is that when I put cueArray[i] into the asfunction code:
mainText.htmlText += "<a href=\"asfunction:clickMe,
cueArray[i]\">cueArray[i]</a>";

It outputs cueArray[i] as string since it falls between the double
quote marks, any attempt to change the quote marks throws an error and
breaks the player. I'm hoping this is only a problem because my
knowledge of coding is pretty basic; any suggestions on fixing this?

Many thanks in advance

Paul