Here's a simple example. Note that if you don't "own" the window your flash
is running in -- you opened it with window.open(...) --  this code will
again prompt the user if they really want to close the window in IE, or do
nothing (Firefox, chrome, etc).

There are ways around that, but I can't bring myself help others be evil.
;-)

Anyway:
in the flash:

import flash.external.ExternalInterface;

function onUserConfirmedTheyWantToExit():void
{
    ExternalInterface.call("closeWindowAsync", "") ;
}

in the HTML page
<script type="javascript">
function closeWindowAsync()
{
setTimeout("closeWindowCallback()", 500) ;
}
function closeWindowCallback()
{
window.close() ;
}
</script>

The use of setTimeout in the javascript is there because of some problems we
had calling "window.close" directly in IE6 (very weird IE-locking bugs if
there were other browser windows open).

Jer