The act of writing Actionscript in FlashDevelop is, IMO, better. FD's code completion and code gen is easier and faster. Because code completion and code gen is the majority of what I do from moment to moment as I'm writing, it's the better tool.

Refactoring and debugging are not what I spend the majority of my time doing. I have Flex Builder. I use it sometimes, but not always, and generally I use it with Build Automatically turned on while I code in FD on the same project and it will spot compile-time errors on the fly.

FDT is a great (albeit expensive) tool, but for day to day coding, I prefer FlashDevelop because it helps me write code faster. It might not help me debug faster, but I spend a lot less time doing that than actually writing code, which is where FlashDevelop shines.

I'm confused by all these comments about the strength of the refactoring tool being a deciding factor. Do you really move stuff around packages that often? Do you really rename entire classes that often? I find that thinking ahead solves that problem, and when it comes up, Find and Replace in files does a great job, even if it's a few Find and Replaces instead of just one Refactor command.

Believe me, I (and many others) have asked the FD guys for this feature, and it's something they're working on adding. However, it's not something I use often enough to outweigh the benefits FD provides when actually writing code.