> I highly suggest reading "Practices of an Agile Developer"
> http://www.pragprog.com/titles/pad/practices-of-an-agile-developer
>
> Use KISS. Stay DRY. Code less. Code smart (code S-Mart).
>
> Use smart shortcuts when they're available to you.  Implicit boolean
> coercion is one such shortcut, among many others.
>
> We need to get things done.  We don't have the luxury that academia has to
> argue about theory for months and years.

You've spent as much time arguing about this as people typically spend
typing out Boolean expressions in the first place. Honestly, if you're
finding an extra ten or so characters a burden, you may have other
problems that are unrelated to the value of using implicit Boolean
evaluation. This has nothing to do with "getting things done" or
"arguing about theory".

But anyway, arguably, keeping it simple doesn't mean keeping it brief.
An explicit Boolean expression is simpler to read and understand than
an implicit Boolean evaluation. Not all languages support implicit
Boolean evaluation, so I have to remember one set of rules for some
environments and a different set for others - not simple.

Again, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with implicit Boolean
evaluation, I just think it's a mistake to believe it's inherently
superior to an explicit, slightly longer Boolean expression, to the
point of telling people they should replace one with another.

And as much as I like Ash, I'm not sure I want to take coding advice
from the guy who couldn't remember "klaatu barada nikto" - maybe he
was too enamored of shortcuts?

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/