On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Kevin Holleran <kdaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How can a copy the display object into another so that I can
> manipulate the coped object but not the original?  I want to copy the
> object, not the reference.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kevin

Okay.... I have the following code:

        public class Coupons extends Sprite {
                public var mainMovieClip:MovieClip;
                public var printMovieClip:MovieClip = new MovieClip();
                var bytes:ByteArray = new ByteArray();

                public function printCoupons(ev:Event) {
                        // we set the zoom to 100%
                        myPDF.setDisplayMode ( Display.REAL );
                        bytes.writeObject(mainMovieClip);
                        bytes.position = 0;
                        printMovieClip = bytes.readObject();
                        printMovieClip.removeChild(printBtn);
                        printMovieClip.scaleX = .9;
                        printMovieClip.scaleY = .9;
                        // we add a page
                        myPDF.addPage();
                        myPDF.addImage(printMovieClip);

When I click the print button, I am receiving an error:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null
object reference.
        at Coupons/printCoupons()

I don't understand what the null object is.  When I remove the
attempted clone of the object, the export to PDF works great, but I
don't want the scale to effect the actual canvas.

Thanks for any help.

Kevin