I'm working in Flash, not Flex.

I have a php script that takes an incoming query from AS3 and returns the resulting data. The data changes very quickly over time. Currently the script returns _all_ of the available data.

I then read in all of the refreshed data into AS3, compare each item with corresponding items in my DataProvider, update any modified items and add any new ones.

This seems terribly inefficient.  What should I be doing differently?

Should my server be "broadcasting" changes?

Should my query include the time-stamp of it's last update so the server can return just the changes?

Are there standard library objects for php to handle this process?

Thanks!