From: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
[mailto:flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com] On Behalf Of Glen Pike
Sent: 16 November 2009 16:30
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Allowing website user to record video and voice

FMS is Flash Media Server - you need this to record audio and video from
Flash to the Server.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmediaserver/

You can download a free development version to test with - with the old
versions, you could use this for upto 5 connections at once (I think).

There are open source alternatives such as Red5 which do the same thing:

http://osflash.org/red5

Documentation has improved marginally, but it can be obscure unless you
get lucky and install a working version straight away...
It's can be a PITA to setup if it does not work straight away - tricky
to find any decent instructions relevant to your OS, but apart from
that, to record basic audio & video stuff it's pretty easy (there are
example apps on the system).

You can join the Red 5 mailing list - make sure you post on this one
rather than the normal OSFlash list if you want answers :)

The alternative might be to use a "hosted" system where the ISP provides
the media server application, probably with basic applications that let
you record stuff.

Flash 10.1 should allow you to get the audio from the microphone of the
computer (not sure about access to the webcam directly), but you would
still possibly need server side code to record...

HTH

Glen