Paul Andrews wrote:
Stuff

Allow me to summarize your post:

You think that Flash is good for graphical projects, such as animations. You also think that Flex builder is better for creating software.
You like the Flex components and how they are data driven.
You acknowledge that Flex projects end up larger, due to having more code doing stuff instead of the authoring tool.

My opinion:
I think that Flash is better for anything that isn't strictly code only, and that is more or less all projects, since it's quite boring to design graphics using code. The upcoming code completion in Flash CS 5 seems to take care of most coding needs in my opinion. It's not going to give you any fancy class feature listing panels or profilers, but those are rarely needed.

If I had to chose what to use, I would use Flash, because I want to use the full swf format. I do not think that Flex alone can do that.