IE7 and IE8 are a far cry from any sort of HTML5 support. I don't think it's
to support it at all, it's just to make the developer's job less miserable
(considering IE6 is a small part of their audience and it's on the way out
anyway).

Here's something everyone has to keep in mind: even if the HTML5 standard
was finished, and if *all* browsers had versions with full HTML5 support
*today*, it'd still take around 8 years for that to be feasible on
commercial projects, given the pace browser penetration usually follows (IE6
was released 8.5 years ago and it's still used by around 13% of the users*).

Add to that the fact that the HTML5 groups are still fighting over codec
support, nothing's ratified yet, and you begin to see why anyone saying
HTML5 will replace Flash anytime soon is out of their damn minds.

As developers we should not be emotionally attached to a platform and refuse
change. But at the same time, I work in the real world and like to look at
solid data; and the data says using HTML5 today is a pipe dream unless you
want problems with cross-browser development to achieve a ~6% user
penetration.

If you wanna convince clients, give them the numbers.

Zeh

[*]
http://www.statowl.com/web_browser_usage_by_version.php?limit[]=ie&limit[]=firefox&limit[]=safari&limit[]=chrome&limit[]=opera&limit[]=netscape