With non-Air players, you can use a Socket to connect to a server. But you
can't create a server itself; i.e. you can't write code to bind to a given
port and listen for connections. So, in that scenario you cannot connect
both swfs directly (you have to use a socket server).

Appartently with Air you can have your app bind to a port and listen for
connections, so you can have 2 swfs talk to each other without the need of
an extra party. (I say apparently because I've just found out about the
ServerSocket class following the link that Henrik posted).

Cheers
Juan Pablo Califano