To supplement Nathan's answer:

I think the common thing that is tricky to note for people transitioning
from AS2 to AS3:

Your library objects with 'Linkage' are now AS3 Classes that (with the
default setting) extend MovieClip.
You need to instantiate this new class to create an instance of your linked
symbol.

-jonathan

-jonathan howe