Hello, Steven,

I agree definitely with the point the video in its current state in
not always clear and it doesn't manage to fulfil its function.

If we talk about the dealing with metadata video you touched upon, its
goal was not to show the speedy performance, but to depict the error
tracking.
What the video shows is that in ordinary text editor it is quite easy
to make an error, while our editor provides you with the error
tracking daemon. Besides, this video does not tell that if refactoring
- renaming or moving a class to another package - takes place, a
developer won't have to search for and retype all the class string
occurrences. Without voiceover that is inevident, indeed.
We keep the video issue in mind and will definitely take remarks into
consideration.

If you have some voice to recommend us for voiceovering the screencast
with our texts, it would be helpful. And you will get some of our
gratitude :)

What about the editor itself, I'm pleased you compare it with the
current version of FDT - imho, the best AS editor nowadays.
But there are some details I would like to highlight.

FDT has been present on the market for a while, it's highly expectable
they've got not a single thousand of bug reports and future requests,
worked them over and the result can be witnessed today. The RASE is
not an exclusion meant interaction with users is vital: we need to
know their opinions, listen to their voice. That's just why this
public beta has been released. It's impossible to develop a software
product when you have no user feedback.

It's been a month since the beginning of CBT, and in that course more
than fifty bugs were fixed. We would not know about them but from
users.

Besides, the code editing logic, suggested by the MPS, is absolutely
different from plain text editing, and there're no projects to learn
from, we can only gather developers' opinions.

But revolutionarity has its advantages, you know. RASE has features,
that can't be implemented by the FDT developers. I'm talking of
Language Oriented Programming. And the difference between LOP and OOP
is more or less the same as the difference between OOP and Procedural
Programming. It's a new programming paradigm, not to say more.
And AS developers will be the avantgarde of coders, who will make
these advantages work for them full power. They wouldn't need to send
future requests to Adobe and wait for AS4 for the time not
predictable. They will have the opportunity to extend the language on
their own. Adobe, on the other hand, if wishes will have language
extensions usage statistics and DSL for decisions on the milestones
for AS syntax evolution.
The same goes for code transformation features - they are so powerful
that, I suppose, neither we, nor the MPS developers do understand the
prospects upcoming and their influence on the coding world.

>>How is that saving me time? How is that worth $99?

Besides all beforewritten, our editor shows today what will become a
normal practice for AS coding tomorrow. Here is a short video from
John Lindquist:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/132579/junk/realaxy-refactor-to-delegation.mp4
Could you show me another AS editor that is capable of doing such a
refactoring? You may point us not strictly on betas, a several-years
developing editor. Is there any?

To be honest, we've released the public beta not only cause we were
much asked to, well, we are itching to show the community the
prospects for AS developers.
We have not finished with the shortcut system. But we are so eager to
uncover the future today :)

>>The product is clearly still in early beta [...]

- yeah, sure. And if you look at this thread subject, that's just what
is written there. It is the first public beta release of the editor,
and we do not make a secret out of that :)
This is at the moment not just not the product to make its way in the
market, it's even not the product to implement any real projects with
it.
We are making our first steps and we need users' feedback badly.
So do we with financial support.

Thank you for you remarks!

2010/6/10 Steven Sacks <flash...@stevensacks.net>:
> You're going to have to provide a bullet point list of why I should choose
> Relaxy over FDT or FlashDevelop, because your website is working against
> you.
>
> I watched your videos and they didn't make any sense. No voiceover and lots
> of mistakes while making your screencasts don't make for a good sales pitch.
>
> For example, your Metadata autocomplete video doesn't make any sense
> whatsoever. It looks like you made tons of mistakes while you were doing it,
> as if even you didn't quite know how it worked. In the time it took you to
> make it work, I could have written multiple metadata lines by hand.
>
> How is that saving me time? How is that worth $99?
>
> Not to mention the logical fallacy of writing a static method to dispatch an
> event. You're not going to sell me an Actionscript editor when you don't
> even know the fundamental rules of writing Actionscript (static functions
> cannot dispatchEvent - that's an instance method of any class that extends
> EventDispatcher).
>
> In your videos, you're using the mouse a lot, opening the system menus a
> lot, these are all things that smart code editors avoid, but your code
> editor seems to embrace. Your Usability videos show Relaxy has anything but.
>
> John Lindquist made a 12 minute Hello World video for RobotLegs that
> passively showed off everything that FDT did and he didn't touch the mouse
> until the last minute to click on the Run button. That's the best sales
> pitch for a code editor I've ever seen. Seeing it in action without him
> talking about the editor itself, just seeing what it allowed him to do while
> he wrote code, you could clearly see the power, usability, and time-saving
> features of FDT.
>
> Based on your sales pitch, there is no reason why anyone should be convinced
> to use Relaxy. The product is clearly still in early beta and doesn't hold a
> candle to FlashDevelop, which is free, or FDT, which is worth every penny.
>
> Best of luck, guys. You need to step up your game. Hopefully, you will.

iv
http://www.bezier.ru
http://bezier.googlecode.com