We, almost everyone here, feel deeply sorry for what you are observing. As Thom
said, we ve all been on /that/ path .... some for years now ....

anyway, this might help you understand what is going on with Flash Player engine
<http://www.craftymind.com/2008/04/18/updated-elastic-racetrack-for-flash-9-and-avm2/>

Then, there are techniques that could come up with better results (like using
bitmaps, working with PixelBender, .... all kind of hacky flashy hacks).

hth,
Cedric