Does anyone know of some really good apps on the iPhone app store that were
written as AIR apps?

It's certainly possible to make iPhone apps from AIR apps.  Adobe's got a
summary of the workflow here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac1e63e3d1295c1072d7-8000.html

I'm curious to see how well such apps perform, and whether they 'feel' like
iPhone apps. Many of the UI conventions for iPhone apps come 'for free' or with
very little effort if you code natively in Objective-C using the iPhone SDK.
I wonder whether it's possible to duplicate those conventions if the app is
originally written in a different language for a different SDK. Do sliders &
buttons look and feel the same?  Do app settings get sync'd/backed-up to iTunes
properly?

The iPhone SDK also provides APIs to get some useful data from other apps on
the phone, for example contact info from the Address Book app, song info from
the iPod app, and photos from the photo album.  Presumably an app written in
AIR wouldn't be able to do that.

I recently taught myself the rudiments of iPhone programming by plowing through
the Big Nerd Rance Guide to iPhone Programming (excellent, recommended!). It's
not difficult, but at the moment I'm more comfortable writing in AS3. The idea
of being able to write in a single language for iPhone, Android, and web is
certainly appealing, but only if works very well.

-Gerry