Anthony Pace skriver:
Hello list,

I have been doing some experiments, but although my stuff is working, it
isn't optimized at all, and I would to try a reliable lib that uses zero
crossings for analysis, if one exists.

Any suggestions?

I am really just interested in pitch analysis with very small sample
chunks. Timber is not really necessary, so I, with my limited DSP
knowledge, think the FFT is overkill; however, I absolutely admit I
could be wrong and not seeing something important.

Another thing is that I was thinking a good/cheap way to get rid of some
low level background noise would be to normalize all values within the
time domain with a very high gain factor, and just give max and min
values for the zero crossings( e.g +3, -3 respectively... I know the
numbers would obviously not be these ones). I know know frequency
analysis would have to be preformed in order to remove a voice, but I am
thinking that this could allow me to zero out/ignore, really low
level/really high level background noise. Should I try something different?

Again, I have just started reading through a copy of 'DSP: a computer
science perspective', that someone gave me, and it seems like what I am
talking about would work; yet, if not, and you have experience with
signals analysis, I would appreciate the heads up.

Thank you,
Anthony

Try a high pass filter.

Also, here is some additional reading for you:
http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm