OK, after two days of total stress, I figured I'd document the solution I just
found, for the public good:

The HTMLLoader instance gets listener Event.COMPLETE prior to the load() call.

// rootReference is my document class, extending Sprite

// works:
rootReference["stage"]["addChild"](rootRef["docViewer"]);

// does NOT work:
rootReference["addChild"](rootRef["docViewer"]);

It turns out the HTMLLoader needs to be added in the topmost possible order, so
add it to the stage, not just the doc class.

Time for a nap,
- MM

I'm *desperately* trying to figure out why an AIR project's HTMLLoader won't
load any pdfs, just showing blank.  Web pages load fine.

Based on documented known limitations (below): scaleX, scaleY, and alpha of the
HTMLLoader are all 1, and rotation is 0. The window isn't transparent.  The
htmlLoader instance is at the top of the displayList. I set scaleMode to
NO_SCALE.  A simple test AIR file worked fine.  It's got to be something about
my file, but what can I double check?