Try wrapping your swf in a span or div and set the z-index to that.
Also, set the object and embed z-index to inherit in your css.

object, embed { z-index:inherit; }

Work in some browsers, but by-and-large very buggy.
I would go with Henrik's suggestion if you can.
You would think this bug would have been fixed years ago.
But, i digress..

Best,
Karl