It's fairly straight forward to add facebook functionality to a
website/app, there's lots of apis floating around, or you can just talk to
fb directly. Be aware their API does change over time. I'm not sure how
good they are at maintaining backwards compatibility.

My experience is in external flash app development with facebook
authentication and access to fb data such as friends and groups via ruby on
rails. I haven't done a game on facebook itself.

Be careful with the API keys, for a standard app (ie. just using facebook
for authentication and access to fb data, not hosted on fb itself) the keys
should only be on your server and never put inside the app - since if users
pull them out they can grab personal data of every other user for your app.
I've seen cases of people being a bit lax with this and it's fine if it's
just your team running the app for testing, but you must not do this for a
public app.