Hi,

Am 22.11.18 um 10:46 schrieb Sean Cross:
>>> 1) I'm completely unable to access any SPI chips.  This appears to be
>>> due to a bug in the kernel driver, which always yanks the CS line high
>>> despite the cs_change set to 0.  A workaround I've come up with is to do
>>> everything as a single transaction, which seems to fix the problem on my
>>> device:
>>
>> what you describe should be impossible, theoretically. CS high means do
>> nothing. If it stays that way it wouldn't matter if you do everything in
>> a single long "do nothing" or in separate shorter ones.
>>
>> So... how do you sample the CS line?
>>
>> And at which speed do you run the SPI bus? i.e. the `spispeed` parameter
>> to flashrom's linux_spi driver. If you didn't set any, it might just be
>> too fast.
> I've attached a png where I measure both the clock and the CS line.

thanks. Turns out I completely misunderstood you the first time (my bad,
my English failed at "yanks [...] high").

>>> 2) The other issue is that my device appears to want SPI_MODE_1.  When I
>>> set SPI_MODE_1, it is able to detect and program the board, but fails to
>>> verify.  The image that gets loaded still works, but I'm unsure of
>>> what's causing the issue.
>>
>> What device is it?
> This is a W25Q128JV.  The reference manual reports that it should work
> with SPI_MODE_0 or SPI_MODE_3, so it's odd that it works only in MODE_1.
>  I suspect there is something seriously wrong with the Raspberry Pi
> kernel here.

I agree, ignoring `.cs_change = 0` is a clear violation of the inter-
face.

IIRC, choosing MODE_1 over MODE_0 would shift MISO/MOSI half a clock,
right? That it works in the wrong mode, could be a physical issue. If
you'd sample MOSI and clock together without anything else connected
(i.e. not even the flash chip) that might show us if the driver works
correctly.

If you happen to find the code for that kernel, or can reproduce the
problem with a vanilla kernel, I'd like to have a look at the code
(wouldn't be the first time I have to check what they broke). Though,
I'd have expected 4.14 to work (just by its age). But maybe other
distributions just include fixes that Fedora lacks.

Nico