Hello Pete,

On 30.03.22 07:19, Pete Smith wrote:
> The chipset is the 200-series "Union Lake", as not currently supported
> by the ich_descriptor_tool, but apart from that, everything looks fine.

should be compatible, IIRC we just don't mention Union Point explicitly.

> Right now it occurs to me that I have misunderstood the --ifd flag. Just
> reading the output of --help, I assumed that the descriptor was read
> from the firmware image, but manpage says "...The on-chip descriptor
> will be read and used to generate the layout." Yikes, that won't work if
> the descriptor is corrupted on-chip.
>
> I only wanted to flash fd, bios and me region to avoid overwriting
> correct MAC address in gbe region. Of course this could also be
> corrupted on-chip, but I would like to give it a try before overwriting
> everything.
>
> The ifdtool from coreboot has a --layout flag that I can run on the
> firmware image and generate a layout file, that I think flashrom can use
> with the --layout option. Then I only need to change --ifd to --layout
> layoutfile.txt and maybe it will work...

What I do in this case is to start with the most simple layout:

  0000:0fff fd

and then flash only the descriptor to make `--ifd` work again. `ifdtool`
may work too but has some quirks: sometimes you have to tell it what
descriptor generation to expect and it doesn't warn if you don't, AIUI.

Nico