> I had Debian 3.0r1 on this machine in a previous life (using
> '/dev/nst0' as
> the tape device) and when using flexbackup, did not receive
> such messages.
> The Flexbackup documentation says for FreeBSD users to use
> /dev/nsa0 as the
> nonrewinding device.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> ~Doug

More data...

Here's the out of flexbackup -test-tape-drive:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]/bin: flexbackup -test-tape-drive

flexbackup version 1.2.1 (http://flexbackup.sourceforge.net)
/etc/flexbackup.conf syntax OK

|------------------------------------------------------------
| Checking 'buffer' on this machine... Ok
| Checking /bin/sh on this machine... unknown (probably Bourne Shell)
|------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/nsa0: old model was 1 filemark at EOT
/dev/nsa0: new model  is 1 filemark at EOT
|------------------------------------------------------------
|------------------------------------------------------------
|------------------------------------------------------------
| Creating index key 200505031104
|------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/nsa0: hardware block location 1

Writing test file #1
Kilobytes Out 160
/dev/nsa0: hardware block location 17
Writing test file #2
Kilobytes Out 10
/dev/nsa0: hardware block location 18
Writing test file #3
Kilobytes Out 160
/dev/nsa0: hardware block location 34

Rewinding...
Skipping index label...
/dev/nsa0: hardware block location 1

Reading test file #1
Kilobytes Out 160
/dev/nsa0: hardware block location 17
Reading test file #2
Kilobytes Out 10
/dev/nsa0: hardware block location 18
Reading test file #3
Kilobytes Out 160
/dev/nsa0: hardware block location 34

Comparing...
SUCCESS! Tape drive parameters seem to work just fine
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/bin:

I see flexbackup doesn't know which shell I am running. I'm running FreeBSD
5.3. Wonder how I can effectively communicate to flexbackup the shell
version?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]/bin: mt -f /dev/nsa0 status
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x25:DDS-3           variable       97000    DCLZ
---------available modes---------
0:        0x25:DDS-3           variable       97000    DCLZ
1:        0x25:DDS-3           variable       97000    DCLZ
2:        0x25:DDS-3           variable       97000    DCLZ
3:        0x25:DDS-3           variable       97000    DCLZ
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0        Residual Count 0

Also tape drive is identified as:

sa0 at ahc1 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
sa0: <ARCHIVE Python 04106-XXX 743B> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2
device
sa0: 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 15)

Umm...?

~Doug