Well, we have just committed to Flex and fortunately beat the price rise - paperwork just completed with Macromedia UK.

First, a big thank you to this list. Whoever started the price increase rumour did us a favour.

We have been prototyping and playing with Flex for a couple of months now and have liked what see - both in terms of the 'Richness' Flex can bring to the user experience AND the 'Rapid' way we can CODE that experience. Of course, we have always known Flex to be (for us) an expensive option but, basing our budgeting on the old $12,000 price, we felt that we could justify the cost even though we were 'at our limit'. Our financial year ends on April 30, and we were planning to buy at the end of April and use up our budget - thank goodness we didn't wait and were able to secure the old pricing.

I say thank goodness because, to be quite honest, we would NOT have purchased at the new prices and we would have been cursing for weeks because of 2 months wasted development effort. I can understand why others are 'angry' at the price increase, especially the smaller organisations/developers like us. Flex might be an enterprise class product but I would suggest you don't have to be a 'deep pocketed' enterprise to make good use of it.

When we spoke to Macromedia UK we were told that the old (12,000) pricing was 'early adopter' pricing and they confirmed the price increase as Lucian has done. I have to say, that if you are discounting a product for early adopters, it is normal to say so upfront, indeed it is usually done to encourage adoption in an open way. I can't remember Macromedia saying the 12,000 price was discounted for early adopters (but I might of missed it), so the increase in price now seems an unusual marketing tactic.

I hope Flex goes from strength to strength regardless of price, and sincerely hope Macromedia haven't killed it via seemingly odd pricing decisions.

Anyway, as I said, we have now committed and we look forward to many years of happy Flex development.

Regards
Ian
PS One bit of good news - annual maintenance is based on the price you paid for the product, so getting it at the 'old' price means we pay less for maintenance in future years.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here