I have started many discussions on Flex pricing, and contributed heavily to each and every other previous Flex pricing post, because I was convinced that Flex pricing killed my and other Flex lovers' opportunities. The reason why I did not contribute until so far is simple. I have experienced that for hot opportunities Macromedia is willing to work out the right deal for you and your customer. They don't kill your opportunities. This is a proven fact. So if you think Flex may be the right solution for your customer's business problem, don't let the pricetag intimidate you. Contact Macromedia and work it out!

The real threat, however, comes from a different corner. High price tags might frighten developers to seriously invest in Flex. Return on investment may seem far lower than from investing in any other platform. The number of experienced, professional Flex developers is low at the moment and may not rise fast enough to realize all Flex opportunities that pop-up in the market in the coming years. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that Macromedia will provide a range of other Flex packages soon. From low-cost (stripped down server-based versions) to no-cost (just mxml compilation without server-based features; the developer-centered Flash alternative).  The critical success factor in the next period is not the Flex price tag, but the number of experienced, highly qualified developers out there that master MXML and AS2 and can rapidly create the killer applications Flex can offer. Don't make it a second ColdFusion: powerful platform, excellent programming language, not enough developers.

Vinny