Well, this is definitely on topic, so lets keep it here.  Besides,
someone else might be able to help.

An Object is NOT the same as an array of Objects, at least from a list
dataProvider standpoint. But there has to be an array in there
somewhere!  Sometimes the array is at result[0], and not at result.

What are you using to debug? Flex Builder? Can you examine the result
object?
Did you try the for loop?  If you have an object, that might not work.
But it might with result[0].
Also try:
for (var key in result){
        trace(key + ":" + result[key]);
}

We can also try specifying the result to be in xml.

We need to know exactly what our data looks like.

Do the current results display in the datagrid? If so, how are you
specifying the dataProvider and the column sources?

Tracy