Kevin, here's one other thing to try if Peter's advice isn't relevant:

Often, an AS class that is mapped from a POJO will not be referenced
anywhere in the application code, since it only arrives in the
application as a result of being deserialized.  What happens in this
case is that the MXMLC compiler does not link the AS class into the
application, and deserialization will fail silently in pretty much
exactly the way you describe.  It looks like the object arrives from the
debug printouts, but AS code will behave as if it's undefined.

(I wasted about 4 hours debugging this case yesterday, so it happens.)

To avoid this, somewhere in a class that *is* being linked, include the
following line:

     static var myPojoDependency:Function = com.MyPojo.

Alternatively, just include another cop yof the Object.registerClass()
call for MyPojo in a class that is already being linked in.