SOLVED!

Laurent, thank you!  That was it.  I switched to the Flash
framework's BitmapAsset instead of the Flex framework's Image class,
and it shows up just fine! Wow, so you can't use Image inside
Sprite.  Never would have guessed that one!

So I learned that you have to be careful how you mix things from the
Flash framework, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.  I really
hope someday that the Flash framework and the Flex framework will
just be one and the same, and we won't have as many bugs like this
that took me (yikes 1.5 days) a long time to fix.  And also the Flash
people might finally get some nice components, and get some back like
Webservices.  This is one of those little rules about Flex that isn't
exactly spelled out in the documentation (or at least that I could
find).

What made this especially complex, is this project uses a lot of Flex
for the UI and data, but has a complex dynamic rendering of the data,
drawn with actionscript (and therefore sprites and the like).  So
there is a lot of mixing of the two frameworks.

Thanks everyone!  I learned a lot about the nature of containers,
UIComponents, Sprites, and the two frameworks through all your posts,
and it's working now!

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Enterprise Technology & Global Risk L&LD
Instructional Technology & Media