Doesn't sound like Flash/Flex.  If you go back to compiling from the
fl.* source you can get a line number for the exception and see what is
going on.

-----Original Message-----
From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Joseph Balderson
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 10:21 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] FLVPlayback in Flex produces RTE #1009 when
setSize() is called for a bad URL

Previously in [flexcoders] Extending A Class From an External Source
Produces
Error 1017: Base Class Not Found

Alex Harui wrote:
> OK.  I don't know what the EULA says about your options, but keep in
> mind that mixing fl.* and mx.* components doesn't work for fl.*
> components that get keyboard focus.  You'll start getting runtime
> exceptions.  So this might work for FLVPlayback, but I wouldn't
> guarantee it for other fl.* components.

Although, now that you mention it, I am wrestling with a very strange
runtime
exception related to the FLVPlayback component in a project. I have a
custom
resizable Panel containing a custom Flex component which contains an
FLVPlayback
component encapsulated by UIMovieClip.

If the source URL is invalid, and we try to call flvpb.setSize(), we get
a RTE
every time, which totally buggers up the application. It's consistent
and
reproducible, and only happens when the source is invalid. (I can't wait
for
Flash 10 when we can catch thrown RTEs)

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null
object
reference.
        at
fl.video::VideoPlayer/http://www.adobe.com/2007/flash/flvplayback/intern
al::doAutoResize()
        at flash.utils::Timer/_timerDispatch()
        at flash.utils::Timer/tick()

Since there is a very minor case scenario where the URL might not be
correct,
the only solution we've figured out has been to "pre-qualify" URLs in
the
application by trying to establish a NetConnection to the URL, and then
marking
that URL as "good" before the vid player ever gets to use it, which is a
nasty
kludge.

Do you think this might be a Flash-Flex integration thing, or simply an
FLVPlayback component bug?

Joseph Balderson, Flash Platform Developer | http://joeflash.ca