Ok, so I am using BrowserManager, but I am getting null on startup?

Here is my code.

private var bm:IBrowserManager;
                                private function init(e:Event):void
                                {
                                        bm = BrowserManager.getInstance();

bm.addEventListener(BrowserChangeEvent.BROWSER_URL_CHANGE, parseURL);
                                        bm.init("", "Hello test");
                                    /* parseURL(e);  */
                                }

                                [Bindable] private var _indexFromURL:String;
                                private function parseURL(e:Event):void
                                {
                                        var s:String = bm.fragment;
                                        _indexFromURL = s;
                                        // Initialize the glide control

                                }

I am getting "null".

The url is http://localhost:3000/views/swf#house. On start up I am
trying to read the URL passed in. If I uncomment the parseURL(e) line
then null goes away and nothing shows up.

I am not sure what is going on? Any clues?