I have run into the same issue.  My RemoteObject calls are already set
to makeObjectsBindable so that doesn't seem to be the issue.
Basically, if i have a view that is already displaying the bound
object, then do a remoteobject call that replaces the existing bound
object with a new one, the bindings do not update.  Which makes sense
as the replacement instance would not have the bindings of the current
model object set on it.  Instead, I have resorted to copying the props
over to the existing model object so that the bindings and references
stay intact, using this script:

        public class ObjUtil
        {
                import flash.utils.*;
                public function ObjUtil()
                {
                }

                public static function CopyProps(source:*,destination:*):void{
                        var def:XML = describeType(source);
                        var properties:XMLList = [EMAIL PROTECTED] + [EMAIL
PROTECTED];
                        for each (var property:String in properties ) {
                                destination[property] = source[property];

And is used like this:

ObjUtil.CopyProps(e.result,userModel.currentUser);

It is not immensely robust and still feels like i am missing something
in regards to binding - but this works without a whole bunch of extra
typing for each and every property that needs to be updated.

Regards,
Nik