Is SEO still an issue when writing a Flex application? I would argue that
it's not.
A) Google (Yahoo coming soon if not already) now indexes content within a
SWF. This includes dynamic content as well. Using dynamic deep linking and a
site map that points to different content in the SWF helps a great deal with
this.

B) If A isn't enough, you could always use mod_rewrite (or
similar technology) to take a link structure and pass parameters down into a
SWF to determine the view state and content. In addition, the server side
script could print an html version of the content in the background which
would allow search engines to index the content and give non-flash users
access to the information as well. The only down side to this approach is
you can not update the URL bar while the user browses through the
application since anchor links are not passed through to the server (to my
knowledge). This can be compensated for by displaying a "link to this page"
in the application.

Anyways, sorry I couldn't answer your original question better. But I think
the idea of a Flex based forum is definitely a realizable idea, and I didn't
want you to give up on it because of a few dissenters.

Best Regards,
~Aaron

--
Aaron Miller