The DragManager has a useful method to save you the trouble: isDragging(), I
think.

I needed to do something like this just yesterday...

I have a list or words in one list and then the synonyms for the selected
word in another. I want to be able to drag a word from the first list to the
second list (saying "This word is also a synonym" etc).

However, when you try to drag the word, the selection changes and so the 2nd
list updates with the synonyms of the second word!

All I did was to use DragManager.isDragging() to prevent updating of the 2nd
list when dragging. Then when dragging finished (dragComplete), set the
selected item of the first list back to its pre-drag state.