From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tim Hoff
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 1:00 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: adding (none) option to comboboxes

Just subclass.

With all humble respect, most developers do not have the time, and sometimes
the ability, to extend the framework quickly to meet simple requirements like
this.  I say this only to point out the different perspectives between a flex
framework engineer and an average or beginner flex developer.  Sure, the power
of flex is that you can always roll your own; when necessary.  All for that!!!
The problem though, is that this may be  too much to ask from a developer with
a deadline.  Before flex, I came from the Microsoft camp.   I absolutely
appreciate the freedom that flex affords, to extend the framework and/or create
components from scratch.  But, the built-in properties and styles that flex
offers is not quite as comprehensive as what I was previously used to.  That
being said, I'd love to see the best of both worlds in the next generation of!
flex.  I guess it boils down to the budget and scope of each release of flex.
Of course, the framework can't account for every possible use-case.  However,
there are quite a few common functions and styles, that could be considered to
be included.  I've had to do something like "all" or "none" many times with a
ComboBox.  For a cleanly coded application, I'd much rather just be able to set
a property, like prompt (but more like reset), instead of adding a sub classed
control or hacking a solution through the dataProvider.  Just .02 and a pseudo
rant. :)

-TH