Just subclass.

With all humble respect, most developers do not have the time, and
sometimes the ability, to extend the framework quickly to meet simple
requirements like this.  I say this only to point out the different
perspectives between a flex framework engineer and an average or
beginner flex developer.  Sure, the power of flex is that you can always
roll your own; when necessary.  All for that!!!  The problem though, is
that this may be  too much to ask from a developer with a deadline.
Before flex, I came from the Microsoft camp.   I absolutely appreciate
the freedom that flex affords, to extend the framework and/or create
components from scratch.  But, the built-in properties and styles that
flex offers is not quite as comprehensive as what I was previously used
to.  That being said, I'd love to see the best of both worlds in the
next generation of flex.  I guess it boils down to the budget and scope
of each release of flex.  Of course, the framework can't account for
every possible use-case.  However, there are quite a few common
functions and styles, that could be considered to be included.  I've had
to do something like "all" or "none" many times with a ComboBox.  For a
cleanly coded application, I'd much rather just be able to set a
property, like prompt (but more like reset), instead of adding a sub
classed control or hacking a solution through the dataProvider.  Just
.02 and a pseudo rant. :)

-TH

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Alex Harui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> An example of such on my blog

On Behalf Of Tim Hoff
> Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 2:08 PM
> To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [flexcoders] Re: adding (none) option to comboboxes
>

> Hi Derrick,
>
> The ComboBox prompt will not solve your problem here. It only appears
> when the selectedIndex==-1; Unless you want to subclass ComboBox,
> you're going to have to add "none" to the dataProvider, and implement
> custom logic to account for it. Since you're using the same
> dataProvider elsewhere, I suggest that you use the object utility copy
> function, to make a deep copy of the collection; to be used for the
> ComboBox with "none" added.
>
> -TH
>
> --- In
flexcoders@yahoogroups.com<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>,