Good stuff!

- Well I don't know if there's really a standard with respect to CF to Flex communications. Certainly there are naming convention standards that I see being adopted from the Flash/Java development side of things, and having things returned in a non-predictable manner can cost you over time. So the question is whether to put the time up front, or later (eg hiring new guys w/o CF background that were expecting a field to be called firstName and it turns out to be FIRSTNAME). In general I would say stick to and enforce a convention that your team is comfortable with, and minimize dependency on assumptions of any particular platform (eg if you decide to switch from CF to Java sometime in the future). On the flipside we also create our external facing CFCs with no assumption that it's Flex communicating with it.

- I would highly recommend the iteration::two book on rich internet applications which talks about patterns. As for invoking a result handler function vs direct assignment. I guess it depends. But in general as your apps get more complex you'll probably end up needing a result handler to do more than just assigning the results.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi Tarik,

Please ignore my previous messages.  I was able to get it working.  I misunderstood the capitalization advice.  I had capitalized the entire field, when only the first letter needed to be.

A couple of follow-up questions, if you don't mind:
  • I see contrary advice on how to return data from CF.  Some say through an array and others just take the recordset directly.  Which would you consider best practice? I want to settle on a standard as I build out my first Flex app.
  • In the RemoteObject tag, is it better to just pass the event to a function (i.e., fault="doFault(event)" result="doResult(event)") or through more implicit calls (i.e., fault="mx.controls.Alert.show(event.fault.faultstring) <mx:method name="doResult" result="handleResult(event)").  Again, I'm just looking for a best practice I can standardize on.
Thank you,
Darius