Ok, so the itemEditor = ComboBox with the above Override and here it is as it
stands and works (up to a point).

<mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Reason Stopped"
dataField="reason_med_stopped_oidCol"
        editorDataField="selectedItem">
        <mx:itemEditor>
                <mx:Component>
                        <mx:ComboBox editable="true" labelField="label" >
                                <mx:ArrayCollection>
                                         <mx:Object label="Patient Died"
data="130"/>
                                         <mx:Object label="Maximum dosage"
data="131"/>
                                         <mx:Object label="Consulting Decision"
data="132"/>
                              </mx:ArrayCollection>
                                <mx:Script>
                                        <![CDATA[
                                                import
mx.collections.IViewCursor;

                                                override public function set
data(value:Object):void
                                               {
                                                      super.data = value;

                                                      var
listCursor:IViewCursor = collection.createCursor();
                                                      do
                                                      {
                                                         if
(data.reason_med_stopped_oidCol ==
listCursor.current.data)
                                                         {
                                                                 selectedItem =
listCursor.current;
                                                                 break;
                                                      while
(listCursor.moveNext());
                                                }
                                                ]]>
                                </mx:Script>
                        </mx:ComboBox>

                </mx:Component>
        </mx:itemEditor>
</mx:DataGridColumn>

Now this works perfectly now when I click in the Cell the ComboBox opens
with the selectedItem and when I select an option and exit the Cell the
DataGridEvent.ITEM_EDIT_END fires and I extract the data value to insert
into the parameters with

parameters[dsFieldName.substr(0,dsFieldName.length-3)] =
e.currentTarget.itemEditorInstance.selectedItem.data;

and that saves to the database, all great...however, the

editorDataField="selectedItem" puts "[object Object]" into the Grid instead
of the data element.

I tried editorDataField="selectedItem.data" but that fails.  I tried "value"
and "text" but it saves the Label.

So what do I put in the editorDataField to save the 'data' to the Grid
instead of the object string or the label?